Sire Elrick

Politics. Rants. Rhetoric. Watch for mudslinging.

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Travel blog - June 30th - Glasgow

Thankfully the headache is minimal, but I don't know if my alarm actually woke me or I dreamed myself awake. Showered and out of it, I got out of Avalon around 7am. I make it to the station by 7:25. The ride is beautiful, I get a table area (four chairs facing each other around an oblong oval) Still doozing yet reading I take pictures while reading "The Hobbit" I didn't have time to repack things until Belfast. Drizzly and misty there, but I'm determined to walk to the ferry. I stop at St. George's open market and have the most amazing sweet potato salad and salmon cake. The lady was pleased I liked it. The walkway to the ferry was mildly confusing, but I had several people, at the station, the inland ferry, two officials and a nice cabbie say I should get a ride. The cabbie finally won me over after about 2/3 the way there, he offered a free ride. (Talking to the police man, I found I let a little odd accent show, don't know what kind. His smile made me think of Michael Caine. He was awfully nice.) I asked the lady in front of me if the line she was standing in was for tickets. She made a remark about the timeliness of the service, but let me go in front of her when I admitted I was trying to leave on the 12:20. Thankfully the receptionist could get me on still. The Ferry left around 12:30ish. Fascinating to see how many women looked like Mom, my sister in law and little mes I saw everywhere. Napped in the "Quiet room" most of the way. Asked a gent when I got off how to get to the train, couldn't understand a word he said, delightfully thick accent. The bus he pointed me to was the only bus left in the lot after a while. People on board buzzed complaints and speculation. Finally after several odd comments from the guys with the yellow jackets, they gave us directions to switch buses, possibly the engine in the first one overheated. (It was an odd silence) The new bus took us all the way to Ayr, mainly along the coast. I am in love with Straenear - it reminds me of a place I've often dreamed of. In the rain there's a glow on the horizon, there's hills, then there's the rocky shore. I felt at home. Even the greenery reminded me of Duncan Ave. The hills made me think of the best combo of NY, MA and PA. We switched at Ayr and I almost forgot my big bag, I had been doozing on the bus as well. Picked up Prawn flavored chips, "butter bar" (tastes like brown sugar consistency mixed with fudge - love the condensed milk...) and water, ate later with rest of mushroom cap I had from lunch. (Which also included a great sweet potato salad and mediteranian veg in balsalmic vinegar.) The train ride was interesting, first the amount of different accents, then the lady - was mad over a wedding, I think was the explanation later by the ticket taker. She balled him out and prowled the isles like a pampleteer meets wild cat. I was one of her victims for the sake of my bags on the chair. The couple she singled out as not getting a seat because of me took one seat together - her on his lap, both smilingly. Again, nodding all the way to the station. I got out my map, see it's no good, and then give up and take a taxi. Turns out Margaret MacDonald house is only a handful of blocks away. So far the place makes me think of Chicago. Joe at the desk is chipper and cheery, and the music... could stay just for that. (good alternative, Scottish) I wouldn't mind living here - just need to learn how to pronounce things like "Buccleuch." I just heard Green Day playing on someone's stereo outside my window. I checked out a couple of streets before calling it quits for the night. I found music stores, clothes, and plenty of restaurants plus a local Sainsbury and "24 New Room" Get water, but no sign of internet cafes. Don't know what to do about the phone card thing. The sky was wonderfully magical, mysterious in its colors, the hilss could rival SanFransciso, and I had at least one guy offer to buy me a drink from behind. I smiled at the dark waiter hanging outside the Pizzeria who was bouncing energetically. He smiled. Perfectly Clear sparkling water is excellent - "Summer Fruits" raspberry, blackberry, black currant. Red a little more of the Hobbit before bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home