Sire Elrick

Politics. Rants. Rhetoric. Watch for mudslinging.

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Travel Blog - July 1st - Glasgow

Good 9 hours sleep. Took my time getting up, until about 10 am. Went over and asked the desk directions to the nearest internet cafe, went to the one on the way to Glasgow Uni. Saw a Methodist church on the way, debated whether or not I wanted to take on the service, I was about on time. Took the long way around, saw outside of Botanical garden. At the Univeristy, talked to a lovely guard at the gate, asked for info. Went to visitor center and got post cards as well as post graduate prospectus. Ate lunch in front of Hunters's Museum, part of the University. Looked at University garden's marked class rooms and Adam Smith building. Took very round about way to Park Circus, tried to find the Geneology center, no luck. Went through the back way first, very lovely and overgrown. Rained off and on, got cool then hot. Found some stairs next to a street leading down, followed those, decided against Mckintosh exhibit and foudn the "Historionics" exhibit, I think it was the contemporary exhbit the girl at the front desk was talking about. Took plenty of pictures of George's Square in the rain. Found a £ store and could only decide on diet Irn Bru, water, and green sunglasses. Tired and wet, I wanted to give up and go back to the hostel, but I heard some music and headed towards it, thinking of the Jazz fest. The music was coming from a bar, but it was a dry place, a seat to sit, and Jameson to boot. I sipped a shot and read to ease my nerves and rest my feet. Football played on the plasma tv and I thought of the museum's exhibit I had just seen on sectarian violence over teams and backgrounds, Irish v. Scottish. (I had debated at the time over leaving a note on the board in the exhibit about Cubs v. White Sox, or Suburbs v. Chicago.) I was a little disturbed by the random weapons people (mainly kids in school rooms) used to taunt and injure the "others." I finished my one shot at the bar and decided I'd try to find stores on the way back to the hostel, but came across the darkened Scottish Music Center, a place full of desks, sheet music, posters and... I thought I saw cd racks, but can't remember. I went across the street and found a coffee shop called "Tinderbox" and relented on my cheap food idea I wanted to get from the market clear across town, and possibly closed. I got a coffee with espresso shot and lemon pinenut torte. Creamy yet subtle comfort food, excellent. I sat and read, and then decided to get their carrot and corriander soup. Good choice. I had asked the girla at the front about the music scene there, or Scotland in general, and she said she might be able to help me if I gave her some time, as she slowly jotted down some names. While I was eating my soup, she gave me more. Then she stopped by (all this was over a long period of time) and talk to me about Tolkien, since I was reading "Trees and leaf" Didn't want to leave the place, but still wanted to find a place that sold shaving cream. Sainsbury local does not. Boots and Sainsbury Central were closed, so I want west towards that now familiar corner that wraps back around to Garnet, and I can find my way back to Buccleuch. Moss grows everywhere in the oddest forms, like little sponges, fur-like, outcroppings I can't describe. Also in the water closet, the shower reminds me of my Dad's ion our basement at home, complete with the PCP piping. I see men in the streets that could be my grandfather's brothers. I see mainly Indian and Italian immigrants here, relatively assimilated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home